Additional capacity waste bins
Households may apply for additional bins to give extra capacity for general waste depending on the number of residents.
In normal circumstances households with 4 or fewer permanent residents will be provided with one red-lidded bin for general waste with a capacity of 180 litres.
Wherever possible we encourage residents to recycle or compost waste to reduce the amount of general waste needing disposal.
Additional capacity waste eligibility
|Number of residents in household||Bin capacity (litres) and number of bins|
|5||1 x 240 litre|
|6||2 x 180 litre|
|7||2 x 180 litre|
|8||1 x 240 litre and 1 x 180 litre|
|9||1 x 240 litre and 1 x 180 litre|
|10||2 x 240 litre|
Request additional capacity waste bins
If you are eligible for additional capacity for general waste disposal you can request this online. You will need to supply proof of occupancy for all residents including children, and a waste audit may be carried out at any time to make sure you're recycling as much as possible.
Examples of proof of occupancy could be:
- Utility bills dated within the last 3 months.
- Mortgage letter / rental agreement dated within the last 3 months.
- Bank statements dated within the last 3 months including tax credits received.
- Benefit letter for the current financial year.
- Letterhead written confirmation from family doctor or school confirming residency of children. A surgery / school stamp is also acceptable.
- If you are a Foster Carer written confirmation (letter / email) from Social Services stating the number of residential person or persons cared for at the property will be required.
If you can't provide proof of occupancy, or you don't recycle as much as possible additional capacity for general waste may be refused or withdrawn.
If you are using unauthorised bins for additional capacity these will be removed.
Other ways to request additional capacity waste bins
If you can not make the request using the online form you can contact us by:
- email: email@example.com
- telephone: 01623 450000 (option 3 waste and environment, option 3 again for other enquiries)