Private hire operator
If you invite or accept bookings for private hire vehicles you will need an operator licence. If you offer waiting facilities for customers your registered office must be in Ashfield.
Hackney carriages (taxis) can also be pre-booked through a private hire operator. This allows the details of the journey to be recorded which helps with public safety and customer ease.
You must not operate without the correct licence in place.
Things to consider before applying are:
- whether your operator base needs planning permission
- whether you have telephone and electronic means (apps are now very popular) to take and manage bookings
- how you will keep the required records of your business - you must be able to produce these if asked by the police or by us
- if you are sub-contracting and taking bookings from another operator they are keeping the right records
- if you are sub-contracting bookings you have taken to another company you are keeping the right records and can produce them
- drivers are not working excessive hours which might put themselves and the public at risk.
How to apply
You will need to download the application pack from this page, complete the forms and make your payment through our online system using a debit or credit card.
You then need to contact us to book a virtual appointment to submit your application. You do not need to attend this appointment in person. Telephone us on 01623 457589 to book your virtual appointment.
How much does it cost?
We usually grant a private hire operator licence for 5 years but you can apply for shorter durations at a lower cost.
|Type of licence or item||Cost|
|Private hire operator - new or renewal (5 years)||£600.14|
|Annual charge per vehicle||£30|
You can pay using our online system using a debit or credit card.
Safeguarding vulnerable passengers course
All new operators are required to attend our safeguarding vulnerable passengers course.
The aim of this short session is to raise your awareness as to the indicators of risk that would enable you to identify a person who is at risk of abuse, neglect, trafficking, and to whom to raise your concerns.
Other ways to contact us about a private hire operator licence
If you have a question about licensing or want to make a complaint about a taxi or private hire operator, vehicle or driver, you can contact us by:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telephone: 01623 457589